Associate Director - Innovation
Dr David Wallom is the Associate Director – Innovation of the Oxford e-Research Centre, where he leads three different activities, Energy and ICT, Cloud Computing and Volunteer Computing. He has led over 20 research projects in areas such as Cloud utilisation, Smart Energy Grids, Research data management, Green IT, ICT security and institutional repositories. He has led the OeRC Volunteer Computing Group for the last 3 years. He is the OeRC representative at the Open Grid Forum ensuring University of Oxford has a voice at this international standards and community body. Within this activity he was the VP-Community where he lead activities around utilisation of standards and best practices developed in OGF. He is a member of the GCHQ recognized centre of Excellence in Cyber Security and the UK Space Agency Ground segment Advisory Group and the UK Government TSB Satellite Applications Centre Academic Advisory Board.
He is also the Technical Director of the UK national e-infrastructure for research (c.f. OpenScienceGrid) the UK NES; Key activities include the supervision and direction of the projects research and development functions and the development of a service based federated cloud computing provision. He alsoleads the NGS membership program, overseeing the interaction between the NGS, collaborating large research projects and institutional research computing facilities connected into the national e-infrastructure.
David currently leads the Integrated Instrumentation and Volunteer Computing Groups.
- ADEPT (EPSRC, PI)
- Attributing impacts of external climate drivers on extreme weather in Africa (NERC, Co-I)
- CRISP (EC FP-7, Co-I)
- FMEC (USFDA, Co-I)
- SKA preconstruction stage 1 (STFC, CoI)
- Supporting e-Infrastructure Utilising through Community Champions for Research (EPSRC, Co-I)
- Bridging the Repository Interoperability Divide - BID (JISC, Co-I)
- DataFlow (JISC/HEFCE, Co-I)
- e-Health+ (EPSRC, Co-I)
- e-Research South (EPSRC, Co-I)
- ETI WA3 Phase 1 (ETI, Chief Technologist)
- UK e-Science ETF Network (EPSRC, PI)
- FleSSR (JISC, PI)
- GridBS (JISC, PI)
- HiPerDNO (EC FP-7, Co-I)
- Low Carbon ICT (JISC, Co-I)
- Microsoft Cluster (Microsoft Corp, Co-I)
- MyTrustedCloud (EPSRC, PI)
- NeuroHub (JISC, Co-I)
- NGS-2 (JISC, Co-I)
- UK NGS-3 (JISC, Co-I)
- OGF-Europe (EC FP-7, Co-I)
- OptIPuter Microscopy Demonstrator (Microsoft Corp, Co-I)
- SARoNGS (JISC, Co-I)
- ShibGrid (JISC, Co-I)
- SIENA (EC FP-7, Co-I)
Dauncey, P.D.; Andress, J.C.; Adye, T.J.; Chevalier, N.I.; Claxton, B.J.; Dyce, N.; Foster, B.; Galagedera, S.; Kurup, A.; Mass, A.; McFall; McGrath, P.; Nash, S.J.; Price, D.R.; Schafer, U.; Scott, I.; Wallom, D.C.H.; , "Design and performance of the level 1 calorimeter trigger for the BABAR detector," Nuclear Science, IEEE Transactions on , vol.48, no.3, pp.541-546, Jun 2001
D. Wallom, I. Stewart, and J. Wakelin, "The University of Bristol grid, a production campus grid," in Proceedings of the High Performance Distributed Computing, 2005. HPDC-14. Proceedings. 14th IEEE International Symposium. IEEE Computer Society, 2005, pp. 320-321.
Oxgrid, a Campus Grid for the University of Oxford. Proc. UK e-Science AHM, Nottingham, U.K., 2006.,
Spence, D.; Geddes, N.; Jensen, J.; Richards, A.; Viljoen, M.; Martin, A.; Dovey, M.; Norman, M.; Kang Tang; Trefethen, A.; Wallom, D.; Allan, R.; Meredith, D.; , "ShibGrid: Shibboleth Access for the UK National Grid Service," e-Science and Grid Computing, 2006. e-Science '06. Second IEEE International Conference on , vol., no., pp.75, Dec. 2006
D. Wallom, et al, "ShibGrid, a Shibboleth based access method for the National Grid Service", Proc. UK e-Science AHM 2007, Nottingham, UK, Sept. 10-13 2007.
J. Jensen, G.A Stewart, M. Viljoen, D. Wallom, S. Young, Practical Grid Interoperability: GridPP and the National Grid Service, Proc. UK e-Science AHM 2007, Nottingham, UK, Sept. 10–13 2007.
Colling, D.; McGough, A.S.; Smith, J.M.; Novov, V.; Tiejun Ma; Wallom, D.; Xin Xiong; , "Adding Standards Based Job Submission to a Commodity Grid Broker," eScience, 2008. eScience '08. IEEE Fourth International Conference on , vol., no., pp.380-381, 7-12 Dec. 2008, doi: 10.1109/eScience.2008.148
Riedel, M., Laure, E., Soddemann, Th., Field, L., Navarro, J. P., Casey, J., Litmaath, M., Baud, J. Ph., Koblitz, B., Catlett, C., Skow, D., Zheng, C., Papadopoulos, P. M., Katz, M., Sharma, N., Smirnova, O., Kónya, B., Arzberger, P., Würthwein, F., Rana, A. S., Martin, T., Wan, M., Welch, V., Rimovsky, T., Newhouse, S., Vanni, A., Tanaka, Y., Tanimura, Y., Ikegami, T., Abramson, D., Enticott, C., Jenkins, G., Pordes, R., Sharma, N., Timm, S., Sharma, N., Moont, G., Aggarwal, M., Colling, D., van der Aa, O., Sim, A., Natarajan, V., Shoshani, A., Gu, J., Chen, S., Galang, G., Zappi, R., Magnoni, L., Ciaschini, V., Pace, M., Venturi, V., Marzolla, M., Andreetto, P., Cowles, B., Wang, S., Saeki, Y., Sato, H., Matsuoka, S., Uthayopas, P., Sriprayoonsakul, S., Koeroo, O., Viljoen, M., Pearlman, L., Pickles, S., Wallom, D., Moloney, G., Lauret, J., Marsteller, J., Sheldon, P., Pathak, S., De Witt, S., Mencák, J., Jensen, J., Hodges, M., Ross, D., Phatanapherom, S., Netzer, G., Gregersen, A. R., Jones, M., Chen, S., Kacsuk, P., Streit, A., Mallmann, D., Wolf, F., Lippert, Th., Delaitre, Th., Huedo, E. and Geddes, N. (2009), Interoperation of world-wide production e-Science infrastructures. Concurrency Computat.: Pract. Exper., 21: 961–990. doi: 10.1002/cpe.1402
M. Ellisman, T. Hutton, A. Kirkland, A. Lin, C. Lin, T. Molina, S. Peltier, R. Singh, K. Tang, A.E. Trefethen, D.C.H. Wallom, and X. Xiong, The OptIPuter microscopy demonstrator: enabling science through a transatlantic lightpath, Phil. Trans. R. Soc. A, 13 July 2009 vol. 367 no. 1898 2645-2653
Xiao Dong Wang; Jones, M.; Jensen, J.; Richards, A.; Wallom, D.; Tiejun Ma; Frank, R.; Spence, D.; Young, S.; Devereux, C.; Geddes, N.; , "Shibboleth Access for Resources on the National Grid Service (SARoNGS)," Information Assurance and Security, 2009. IAS '09. Fifth International Conference on , vol.2, no., pp.338-341, 18-20 Aug. 2009
P. Anderson, G. Backhouse, D. Curtis, S. Redding, and D. Wallom, “Low carbon computing: a view to 2050 and beyond,” JISC, Technology & Standards Watch (TechWatch), Nov. 2009.
Segolene M. Tarte, David C. H. Wallom, Pin Hu, Kang Tang, Tiejun Ma, "An Image Processing Portal and Web-Service for the Study of Ancient Documents," e-Science and Grid Computing, International Conference on, pp. 14-19, 2009 Fifth IEEE International Conference on e-Science, 2009
Wallom, David; , "Computational frameworks for HiPerDNO," Smart Grid 2010: Making it a reality, IET Conference on , vol., no., pp.1-11, 25-26 May 2010, doi: 10.1049/ic.2010.0079
Colling, D.; McGough, A.S.; Tiejun Ma; Novov, V.; Smith, J.M.; Wallom, D.; Xin Xiong; , "Adding Standards Based Job Submission to a Commodity Grid Broker," Computer and Information Technology (CIT), 2010 IEEE 10th International Conference on , vol., no., pp.1530-1535, June 29 2010-July 1 2010
Tiejun Ma; Xin Xiong; Wallom, D.; , "A Framework for Sharing Heterogeneous Grid Resources in a Campus Environment," Computer and Information Technology (CIT), 2010 IEEE 10th International Conference on , vol., no., pp.2524-2531, June 29 2010-July 1 2010
Taylor, G.A.; Wallom, D.C.H.; Grenard, S.; Yunta Huete, A.; Axon, C.J.; , "Recent developments towards novel high performance computing and communications solutions for smart distribution network operation," Innovative Smart Grid Technologies (ISGT Europe), 2011 2nd IEEE PES International Conference and Exhibition on , vol., no., pp.1-8, 5-7 Dec. 2011, doi: 10.1109/ISGTEurope.2011.6162812
Stefano Salvini, Piotr Lopatka, and David Wallom. 2011. A hardware and software computational platform for the HiPerDNO (high performance distribution network operation) project. In Proceedings of the first international workshop on High performance computing, networking and analytics for the power grid (HiPCNA-PG '11). ACM, New York, NY, USA, 75-82.
Wallom, D.; Turilli, M.; Taylor, G.; Hargreaves, N.; Martin, A.; Raun, A.; McMoran, A.; , "myTrustedCloud: Trusted Cloud Infrastructure for Security-critical Computation and Data Managment," Cloud Computing Technology and Science (CloudCom), 2011 IEEE Third International Conference on , vol., no., pp.247-254, Nov. 29 2011-Dec. 1 2011, doi: 10.1109/CloudCom.2011.41
Guillermo Bravo, Juan Prieto, Angel Yunta, David Trebolle, Stefano Salvini and David Wallom, A Genetic Based Service Restoration Algorithm for real-time operated Medium Voltage Distribution Networks using High Performance Computing, Universities Power Engineering Conference 2012.
P. Lopatka, N. Nusrat, L. De-Alvaro, S. Salvini and D. Wallom. Performance Study of Distributed State Estimation Algorithms on the HiPerDNO HPC Platform, Universities Power Engineering Conference 2012.
D. Wallom, S. Salvini, P. Lopatka, A computational platform for advanced energy Distribution Network Operations, UK eScience Digital Research 2012.
Axon, C.J.; Darby, S.J.; Taylor, G.A.; Hobson, P.R.; Layberry, R.L.; Pisica, I.; Taylor, G.A.; Pisica, I., "Towards an understanding of dynamic energy pricing and tariffs," Universities Power Engineering Conference (UPEC), 2012 47th International , vol., no., pp.1,5, 4-7 Sept. 2012, doi: 10.1109/UPEC.2012.6398452
Bravo, G.; Prieto, J.; Yunta, A.; Trebolle, D.; Salvini, S.; Wallom, D., "A genetic based Service Restoration Algorithm for real-time operated Medium Voltage Distribution Networks using High Performance Computing," Universities Power Engineering Conference (UPEC), 2012 47th International , vol., no., pp.1,6, 4-7 Sept. 2012, doi: 10.1109/UPEC.2012.6398594
Lopatka, P.; Salvini, S.; Nusrat, N.; De-Alvaro, L.; Wallom, D., "Performance study of distributed state estimation algorithms on the HiPerDNO HPC platform," Universities Power Engineering Conference (UPEC), 2012 47th International , vol., no., pp.1,6, 4-7 Sept. 2012, doi: 10.1109/UPEC.2012.6398567
SIENA: Grid and Cloud Standards for e-Science and beyond, Proceedings of the EGI Community Forum 2012 / EMI Second Technical Conference (EGICF12-EMITC2). 26-30 March, 2012. Munich, Germany. Published online at http://pos.sissa.it/cgi-bin/reader/conf.cgi?confid=162, id.93
D.C.H. Wallom, S. Salvini and P. Lopatka, High Performance Computing Platform for Advanced Distributed Network Operations. Innovative Smart Grid Technologies (ISGT Europe), 2012 3rd IEEE PES International Conference and Exhibition on , 14 - 17 Oct 2012.
Matteo Turilli, David Wallom et al, Flexible services for the support of research Phil. Trans. R. Soc. A. 2013 371 1983 20120067; doi:10.1098/rsta.2012.0067 (published 10 December 2012) 1471-2962
Ramon Granell, Colin J. Axon, and David C.H. Wallom, A Dirichlet Process Mixture Model for Clustering of Household Electricity Load Profiles,Proceedings of the 9th International Conference on Machine Learning and Data Mining (MLDM 2013), July 19-25, 2013, New York/USA (IN PRESS)
- OeRC and NGS Activities in Cloud, ISGC Cloud workshop, 27/2/12
- myTrustedCloud, ISGC 2012, 28/2/12
- Curation in the Cloud, JISC Workshop, 7/3/12
- Welcome to OeRC, OGF34 Welcome, 12/3/12
- Utilising Hybrid Clouds to Provide Resources to Higher Educational Institutions
- Cluster for Research Infrastructures Synergies for Physics (CRISP), EGI CF 2012, 27/3/12
- SIENA; Grid and cloud Standards for eScience and beyond, EGI CF 2012, 29/3/12
- myTrustedCloud, Internal presentation, 1/5/12
- Integrating e-Infrastructure and software for integrated Structural Biology, CECAM 2012, 22/5/12
- The SIENA Roadmap on Clouds and eScience, EuroCloud 2012, 23/5/12
- Oxford eResearch Centre and UK NGS Cloud Activities, UK Space Agency ground Segment Working group on Cloud Computing, 25/5/12
- The Challenges of Large Scale Data Processing in AstroPhysics, 7/6/12
- European Demand Response & Dynamic Pricing, 27 - 28/6/12
- SeIUCCR Summer School, 13 - 16/8/12
- Vizualisation Challenges of Smart Grid and Energy, 30/8/12
- Smart Grid Demonstrators Forum and Tutorial, 4/9/12
- eScience approaches to the Smart(er) Grid: HiPerDNO, myTrustedCloud and ADEPT, HubNet 2012, 11/9/12
- Holding the e-Infrastructure Landscape Together, e-IRG/EC workshop on DCI for Horizon 2020, Prague, 18/9/12
- Supporting Research with Flexible Computational Resources, ISC Gloud 2012, 25/9/12
- Supporting multiple heterogeneous user communities, the EGI Federated Cloud Task Force, GridPP-29. 27/9/12.
- Performance of Parallel State Estimation on a High Performance Computing Platform, DSE Panel, IEEE PES ISGT 2012. 17/10/12.
- MORE TALKS HERE
- An Introduction to Cloud, Harwell Business Breakfast, 25/1/2013
- eScience Approaches to the Smart(er) grid; HiPerDNO, ADEPT and myTrustedCloud, St Annes College Science Club Seminar, 25/1/2013
- Supporting Research with Flexible Federated Resources, why standards matter and the need for hybrid cloud, CloudExpo Europe 2013, 29/1/2013
- An Introduction to the e-Infrastucture landscape, University of Surrey Computer Science Seminar, 19/4/2013
- The Road Towards A Production Quality Federated Cloud Infrastructure In Europe, GCI Summit 2013, 3/7/2013