This section acts as a central repository for news stories from the Oxford e-Research Centre. To receive news updates as they become available you can subscribe to our RSS feed.
- Researching Responsible Innovation in ICT 5th October '11
- A new project has been instigated by researchers at the e‐Research Centre and the Centre for Computing & Social Responsibility (CCSR) at De Montfort University. This will aim to raise awareness and foster debate on Responsible Innovation in ICT, while working to provide guidance on how organisations can best manage the ethical dilemmas that come with changes that novel technologies and innovation may surface. Visit the project website
- Professor Dawn Field appointed as a Senior Research Fellow 12th September '11
- We are delighted to announce that Professor Dawn Field, of NERC’s Centre for Ecology & Hydrology (CEH), has been appointed as a Senior Research Fellow with the Oxford e-Research Centre. This part-time appointment supports the Memorandum of Understanding (MOU) with the CEH to enhance collaborations with the University of Oxford.
- Celebrating 10 years of e-Science in the UK 16th June '11
- The Oxford e-Research Centre played host to a successful event celebrating 10 years of e-Science in the UK. Speakers at the event included Professor Malcolm Atkinson, Dr Lourdes Verdes-Montenegro, Dr Arfon Smith and Professor Tony Hey, with an after-dinner speech provided by Sir David Wallace.
- Flying through the 3D heart 21st April '11
- Work taking place at the e-Research Centre is featured in the Spring 2011 edition of HPC Source, a supplement to Scientific Computing magazine. In the article Jeremy Walton explains how he created a 3D heart visualization to be run on the e-Research Centre's high resolution display wall, to help researchers who have been building computer models of the heart to improve the diagnosis and treatment of cardiac disease. Click here to read the full article online
- The SIENA initiative drives Europe’s Cloud computing Strategy at Cloudscape III 22nd March '11
- Robert Madelin, Director-General, DG Information Society and Media of the European Commission opened Cloudscape III hosted by the SIENA initiative (of which the Oxford e-Research Centre is a partner). His keynote focused on Cloud computing and the Digital Agenda, underscoring that “the potential benefits of cloud computing in business, public services and scientific research are widely recognised. Efforts like the SIENA standardisation roadmap will be very useful in making these benefits materialise”.